3 Home Maintenance Tips For Atlanta Summers
In summertime, your biggest worry should be about cooking enough food for your summer party, and not how to fix a rotted deck or a busted appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Atlanta. By inspecting and fixing small problems, you can avoid bigger, more expensive problems down the line. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that keep you in control of your home’s maintenance before bigger problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is the perfect time in Atlanta to work on your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep the heat out and your utility bills low. The first thing you should do is check your doors and windows for leaks that let air in. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace old weatherstripping if you feel air coming through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the broken sections.
You can also lower your utility bill by installing an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters lower air transfer through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds.
2. Enhance Your Patios And Decks
If you’re planning on barbecuing on your patio or porch this summer, ensure it’s ready for all your guests. First, inspect your deck or patio for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that need to be replaced because they’re broken or rotting. Give your deck and patio a new look and protect it from the bright summer sun and rain by staining or sealing it.
Once you’ve fixed any damaged boards and areas and stained your patio, it’s time to make it shine. You can add interest to the windows and doors attached to your porch and patio by installing window treatments like plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors or sidelight shutters. Then bring in new patio furniture or perhaps even a fire pit. Landscape the area around your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that break down can disrupt your fun summer plans. Here’s some things to check for with your major appliances to keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than necessary and increase your energy bill. It’s easy to unclog them by vacuuming them. Unplug your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any backed up water or leaks. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. You’ll also want to clean out the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any bulges, cracks, or leaks. Replace the hoses if needed. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or hire a professional to do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can enjoy a pleasant summer. And if you want to give your home a beautiful look this summer with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, check out our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 404-962-8517. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Atlanta and do all the measuring, work, and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.